Basic materials stocks finished up broadly on Wall Street on Thursday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.3%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.3%, the Nasdaq increased 0.1% and the S&P 500 climbed 0.3%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is up 2.1% today.
- Actuant Corp (ATU): ATU stock is up 1.6% today.
- Kronos Worldwide Inc (KRO): KRO stock is up 1.5% today.
- Vale S.A. (VALE): VALE stock is up 1.3% today.
- Kaiser Aluminum Corp (KALU): KALU stock is up 1.3%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- A. Schulman (SHLM): SHLM stock is up 1.3% today.
- Innospec Inc (IOSP): IOSP stock is up 1.2%, marking the fifth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Sonoco Products Company (SON): SON stock is up 1.2% today.
- Sealed Air Corp (SEE): SEE stock is up 1.1% today.
- Precision Castparts Corp (PCP): PCP stock is up 1.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Hecla Mining Company (HL): HL stock is down 1.3% today.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited (AEM): AEM stock is down 1.2% today.
- Steel Dynamics (STLD): STLD stock is down 1.2% today.
- Olin Corp (OLN): OLN stock is down 1.1% today.
- Stepan Company (SCL): SCL stock is down 1.0% today.
- Mrc Global Inc (MRC): MRC stock is down 0.9% today.
- Southern Peru Copper Corp (SCCO): SCCO stock is down 0.8% today.
- Minerals Technologies Inc (MTX): MTX stock is down 0.8% today.
- Eastman Chemical Company (EMN): EMN stock is down 0.8% today.
- Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc (POT): POT stock is down 0.7% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.