Utilities stocks rose broadly on Wall Street today, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.8%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.2%, the Nasdaq was up 0.3% and the S&P 500 climbed 0.2%.
Some of the biggest gainers among utilities stocks include:
- Centrais Elc Braz Pfb B Elbras (EBR): EBR stock is up 2.0% today.
- El Paso Electric Company (EE): EE stock is up 1.7% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Comp En De Mn Cemig Ads (CIG): CIG stock is up 1.7% today.
- Centerpoint Energy Inc (CNP): CNP stock is up 1.6% today.
- Northwestern Corp (NWE): NWE stock is up 1.4% today.
- Pacific Gas & Electric Co. (PCG): PCG stock is up 1.4% today.
- Transcananda Pipelines (TRP): TRP stock is up 1.3% today.
- Consolidated Edison Company of New York (ED): ED stock is up 1.2% today.
- Dte Energy Company (DTE): DTE stock is up 1.2% today.
- Williams Partners L.P. (WPZ): WPZ stock is up 1.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among utilities stocks include:
- WGL Holdings Inc (WGL): WGL stock is down 0.6% today.
- Northwest Natural Gas Company (NWN): NWN stock is down 0.6% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Oneok Partners L.P. (OKS): OKS stock is down 0.5% today.
- Calpine Corp (CPN): CPN stock is down 0.4% today.
- Energy Transfer Partners (ETP): ETP stock is down 0.2% today.
- National Fuel Gas Company (NFG): NFG stock is down 0.2% today.
- South Jersey Industries (SJI): SJI stock is down 0.1% today.
- Newjersey Resources Corp (NJR): NJR stock is down 0.1% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.