Basic materials stocks advanced 0.2% on Wall Street on Monday morning.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average pushed 0.6% higher, the Nasdaq climbed 0.8% and the S&P 500 increased 0.6%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Pohang Iron & Steel Co. (PKX): PKX stock is up 3.3% today.
- Sinopec Shangai Petrochemical Company Ltd (SHI): SHI stock is up 3.2% today.
- Sociedad Quimica Y Minera S.A. (SQM): SQM stock is up 3.4% today.
- Eastman Chemical Company (EMN): EMN stock is up 2.4% today.
- Trex Company (TREX): TREX stock is up 1.4% today.
- Sasol Ltd (SSL): SSL stock is up 1.3% today.
- Arcelormittal (MT): MT stock is up 1.4% today.
- Ferro Corp (FOE): FOE stock is up 1.2% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is up 1.1% today.
- Bhp Billiton Plc (BBL): BBL stock is up 1.0% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is down 5.4% today.
- Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp (KS): KS stock is down 3.7% today.
- International Paper Company (IP): IP stock is down 2.9% today.
- Packaging Corporation of America (PKG): PKG stock is down 2.0% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is down 2.0% today.
- Newmont Mining Corp (NEM): NEM stock is down 2.1% today.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is down 1.8% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is down 1.7% today.
- Meadwestvaco Corp (MWV): MWV stock is down 1.5% today.
- Barrick Gold Corp (ABX): ABX stock is down 1.7% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.