Basic materials stocks finished down 0.2% on Wall Street on Thursday.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 0.8%, the Nasdaq climbed 1.4% and the S&P 500 increased 0.8%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Simpson Manufacturing Company (SSD): SSD stock is up 2.1% today.
- Schweitzer-Mauduit International (SWM): SWM stock is up 2.0% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is up 2.0% today.
- Murphy USA Inc. Common Stock Wh (MUSA): MUSA stock is up 2.0%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Kaiser Aluminum Corp (KALU): KALU stock is up 1.9% today.
- International Paper Company (IP): IP stock is up 1.9% today.
- Crown Cork & Seal Company (CCK): CCK stock is up 1.8% today.
- Vale S.A. (VALE): VALE stock is up 1.8% today.
- Actuant Corp (ATU): ATU stock is up 1.8% today.
- Compass Minerals Intl Inc (CMP): CMP stock is up 1.8% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is down 2.8% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 2.7% today.
- Quaker Chemical Corp (KWR): KWR stock is down 2.7% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is down 2.5% today.
- Teck Resources Ltd (TCK): TCK stock is down 2.4% today.
- Newmont Mining Corp (NEM): NEM stock is down 1.9%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is down 1.7% today.
- Cytec Industries Inc (CYT): CYT stock is down 1.6% today.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is down 1.6% today.
- Minerals Technologies Inc (MTX): MTX stock is down 1.5% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.