Basic materials stocks finished down 2.2% on Wall Street today.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined 1.1%, the Nasdaq was down 1.0% and the S&P 500 declined 1.1%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 10.4% today.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited (AEM): AEM stock is up 6.7% today on 3 times normal volume.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is up 6.2% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is up 4.4% today.
- Royal Gold (RGLD): RGLD stock is up 4.1% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW): SLW stock is up 4.1% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is up 3.9% today.
- Goldcorp Inc (GG): GG stock is up 3.9% today on 3 times normal volume.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is up 3.5% today on 3 times normal volume.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is up 2.8% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is down 4.3% today.
- Worthington Industries (WOR): WOR stock is down 3.8% today.
- DOW Chemical Company (DOW): DOW stock is down 3.7%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Steel Dynamics (STLD): STLD stock is down 3.6% today.
- Enpro Industries (NPO): NPO stock is down 3.3% today.
- Celanese Corp (CE): CE stock is down 3.3% today.
- Olin Corp (OLN): OLN stock is down 3.2% today.
- Westlake Chemical Corp (WLK): WLK stock is down 3.1% today.
- Commercial Metals Company (CMC): CMC stock is down 3.1% today.
- Owens-Illinois (OI): OI stock is down 3.1% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.