Basic materials stocks rose broadly on Wall Street today, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.5%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average stayed consistent, the Nasdaq increased 0.5% and the S&P 500 was unchanged.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is up 2.3% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is up 1.6% today.
- Graphic Packaging Holding Company (GPK): GPK stock is up 1.5% today.
- Ball Corp (BLL): BLL stock is up 1.2%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is up 1.1% today.
- International Paper Company (IP): IP stock is up 1.0% today.
- H. B. Fuller Company (FUL): FUL stock is up 1.0% today.
- Syngenta Ag (SYT): SYT stock is up 0.8% today.
- Parker-Hannifin Corp (PH): PH stock is up 0.8% today.
- Cameco Corp (CCJ): CCJ stock is up 0.7% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Newmarket Corp (NEU): NEU stock is down 3.8% today on 3 times normal volume.
- Mrc Global Inc (MRC): MRC stock is down 3.2% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Allegheny Technologies Inc (ATI): ATI stock is down 3.1% today and down 21.5% in the last month.
- Worthington Industries (WOR): WOR stock is down 2.8% today.
- Commercial Metals Company (CMC): CMC stock is down 2.5% today.
- Newmont Mining Corp (NEM): NEM stock is down 2.2% today and down 23.5% in the last month.
- Southern Peru Copper Corp (SCCO): SCCO stock is down 2.0% today.
- Goldcorp Inc (GG): GG stock is down 1.9% today and down 20.1% in the last month.
- Alcoa Inc (AA): AA stock is down 1.8% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.