Basic materials stocks rose broadly on Wall Street today, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.5%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average stayed consistent, the Nasdaq increased 0.5% and the S&P 500 was unchanged.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is up 2.3% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is up 1.6% today.
- Graphic Packaging Holding Company (GPK): GPK stock is up 1.5% today.
- Ball Corp (BLL): BLL stock is up 1.2%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is up 1.1% today.
- International Paper Company (IP): IP stock is up 1.0% today.
- H. B. Fuller Company (FUL): FUL stock is up 1.0% today.
- Syngenta Ag (SYT): SYT stock is up 0.8% today.
- Parker-Hannifin Corp (PH): PH stock is up 0.8% today.
- Cameco Corp (CCJ): CCJ stock is up 0.7% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Newmarket Corp (NEU): NEU stock is down 3.8% today on 3 times normal volume.
- Mrc Global Inc (MRC): MRC stock is down 3.2% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Allegheny Technologies Inc (ATI): ATI stock is down 3.1% today and down 21.5% in the last month.
- Worthington Industries (WOR): WOR stock is down 2.8% today.
- Commercial Metals Company (CMC): CMC stock is down 2.5% today.
- Newmont Mining Corp (NEM): NEM stock is down 2.2% today and down 23.5% in the last month.
- Southern Peru Copper Corp (SCCO): SCCO stock is down 2.0% today.
- Goldcorp Inc (GG): GG stock is down 1.9% today and down 20.1% in the last month.
- Alcoa Inc (AA): AA stock is down 1.8% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.