Basic materials stocks finished down broadly on Wall Street today, with the sector seeing an overall decline of 1.9%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.9%, the Nasdaq declined 1.3% and the S&P 500 fell 0.9%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 3.8% today.
- Yamana Gold (AUY): AUY stock is up 1.9%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Pan American Silver (PAAS): PAAS stock is up 1.6% today.
- Royal Gold (RGLD): RGLD stock is up 1.2%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Barrick Gold Corp (ABX): ABX stock is up 0.9% today.
- Goldcorp Inc (GG): GG stock is up 0.9% today.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is up 0.5% today.
- Chemtura Corp (CHMT): CHMT stock is up 0.7% today.
- Newmont Mining Corp (NEM): NEM stock is up 0.6% today.
- Minerals Technologies Inc (MTX): MTX stock is up 0.2% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF): IFF stock is down 4.0% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is down 3.7% today.
- Stepan Company (SCL): SCL stock is down 3.7% today.
- Huntsman Corp (HUN): HUN stock is down 3.6% today.
- RBC Bearings Inc (ROLL): ROLL stock is down 3.6% today.
- Sociedad Quimica Y Minera S.A. (SQM): SQM stock is down 3.5% today.
- Steel Dynamics (STLD): STLD stock is down 3.5% today.
- Valspar Corp (VAL): VAL stock is down 3.2% today.
- Mosaic Company (MOS): MOS stock is down 3.2% today.
- Schweitzer-Mauduit International (SWM): SWM stock is down 3.1% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.