Basic materials stocks fell broadly on Wall Street on Wednesday morning, with the sector seeing an overall decline of 0.9%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined 0.6%, the Nasdaq was down 0.5% and the S&P 500 fell 0.6%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is up 7.0%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines Ltd (AEM): AEM stock is up 4.5% today.
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is up 4.0% today.
- Kinross Gold Corp (KGC): KGC stock is up 3.5% today and up 22.5% in the last month.
- Pan American Silver (PAAS): PAAS stock is up 2.4% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is up 3.0% today.
- Barrick Gold Corp (ABX): ABX stock is up 2.3% today.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is up 1.9% today.
- Goldcorp Inc (GG): GG stock is up 1.8% today.
- Stillwater Mining Company (SWC): SWC stock is up 2.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is down 12.6% today.
- Methanex Corp (MEOH): MEOH stock is down 4.5% today.
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is down 4.0%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is down 2.9%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Vale S.A. (VALE): VALE stock is down 3.0%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is down 3.0% today.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is down 2.7%, marking the seventh consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- A. Schulman (SHLM): SHLM stock is down 2.6% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is down 2.6%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Bhp Billiton Plc (BBL): BBL stock is down 2.3%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.