Basic materials stocks finished up broadly on Wall Street today, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.3%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average stayed consistent, the Nasdaq was up 0.2% and the S&P 500 stayed level.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF): GEF stock is up 3.2% today.
- Cabot Corp (CBT): CBT stock is up 3.0% today.
- Owens-Illinois (OI): OI stock is up 2.8% today.
- Berry Plastics Group Inc (BERY): BERY stock is up 2.6% today.
- Steel Dynamics (STLD): STLD stock is up 2.5% today.
- Globe Specialty Metals Inc (GSM): GSM stock is up 2.5% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is up 2.3% today.
- Commercial Metals Company (CMC): CMC stock is up 2.2% today.
- Silgan Holdings (SLGN): SLGN stock is up 2.1% today.
- Ball Corp (BLL): BLL stock is up 1.9% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is down 2.3%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is down 1.9% today.
- Eastman Chemical Company (EMN): EMN stock is down 1.2% today.
- Goldcorp Inc (GG): GG stock is down 1.2% today.
- Barrick Gold Corp (ABX): ABX stock is down 1.2% today.
- Celanese Corp (CE): CE stock is down 1.0% today.
- Yamana Gold (AUY): AUY stock is down 0.9% today.
- Balchem Corp (BCPC): BCPC stock is down 0.9%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Minerals Technologies Inc (MTX): MTX stock is down 0.9% today.
- Teck Resources Ltd (TCK): TCK stock is down 0.8% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.