Basic materials stocks advanced 0.5% on Wall Street on Wednesday morning.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average increased 0.9%, the Nasdaq pushed 1.1% higher and the S&P 500 rose 0.9%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF): GEF stock is up 5.7% today.
- Gerdau S.A. (GGB): GGB stock is up 4.1% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is up 3.3% today.
- Bhp Billiton Plc (BBL): BBL stock is up 3.2% today.
- Sinopec Shangai Petrochemical Company Ltd (SHI): SHI stock is up 2.8% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is up 2.6% today.
- Sasol Ltd (SSL): SSL stock is up 2.7% today.
- Bhp Billiton Ltd (BHP): BHP stock is up 2.1% today.
- Terra Nitrogen Company L.P. (TNH): TNH stock is up 2.2% today.
- Schweitzer-Mauduit International (SWM): SWM stock is up 2.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is down 4.3% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is down 3.5% today.
- Olin Corp (OLN): OLN stock is down 3.1% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is down 2.1%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Sociedad Quimica Y Minera S.A. (SQM): SQM stock is down 1.8% today.
- Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW): SLW stock is down 1.4% today.
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is down 1.4%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Barrick Gold Corp (ABX): ABX stock is down 0.7% today.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is down 0.9% today.
- Stillwater Mining Company (SWC): SWC stock is down 1.1% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.