Basic materials stocks advanced broadly on Wall Street on Thursday morning, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 1.0%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 0.8%, the Nasdaq rose 0.6% and the S&P 500 was up 0.8%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF): GEF stock is up 17.1% today.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is up 5.6% today.
- Vedanta Ltd (VEDL): VEDL stock is up 5.2% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is up 4.5% today.
- Teck Resources Ltd (TCK): TCK stock is up 4.2% today.
- Vale S.A. (VALE): VALE stock is up 3.1% today.
- Bhp Billiton Plc (BBL): BBL stock is up 2.7% today.
- Syngenta Ag (SYT): SYT stock is up 2.2% today.
- Freeport-Mcmoran Inc (FCX): FCX stock is up 2.8% today.
- Southern Peru Copper Corp (SCCO): SCCO stock is up 2.4% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Carpenter Technology Corp (CRS): CRS stock is down 2.4% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 1.2% today.
- Grupo Simec S.A. De C.V (SIM): SIM stock is down 1.3% today.
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is down 1.4%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Gerdau S.A. (GGB): GGB stock is down 1.2% today.
- Actuant Corp (ATU): ATU stock is down 0.7%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Kinross Gold Corp (KGC): KGC stock is down 1.2% today and down 21.5% in the last month.
- Quaker Chemical Corp (KWR): KWR stock is down 0.5% today.
- Posco ADR (PKX): PKX stock is down 0.1% today.
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is down 0.5% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.