Basic materials stocks rose broadly on Wall Street today, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 1.4%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average pushed 0.8% higher, the Nasdaq was up 0.6% and the S&P 500 pushed 0.8% higher.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 6.6% today.
- Plum Creek Timber Company (PCL): PCL stock is up 6.0% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Stillwater Mining Company (SWC): SWC stock is up 5.6% today.
- Vedanta Ltd (VEDL): VEDL stock is up 5.4% today and up 21.0% in the last month.
- Commercial Metals Company (CMC): CMC stock is up 5.3% today.
- Freeport-Mcmoran Inc (FCX): FCX stock is up 5.0% today and up 36.6% in the last month.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is up 4.9% today and up 38.7% in the last month.
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is up 4.8% today and up 20.2% in the last month.
- Bhp Billiton Plc (BBL): BBL stock is up 4.6%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Westlake Chemical Corp (WLK): WLK stock is up 4.4% today.
Only one stock in the basic materials sectors showed losses:
- FMC Corp (FMC): FMC stock is down 0.4%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.