Basic materials stocks finished up broadly on Wall Street today, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.2%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.5%, the Nasdaq climbed 1.1% and the S&P 500 rose 0.5%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF.B): GEF.B stock is up 8.6% today and up 27.8% in the last month.
- Grupo Simec S.A. De C.V (SIM): SIM stock is up 2.4%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Southern Peru Copper Corp (SCCO): SCCO stock is up 2.3% today.
- Mrc Global Inc (MRC): MRC stock is up 1.8% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is up 1.2% today.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is up 1.3% today.
- Lyondellbasell Industries Nv (LYB): LYB stock is up 1.2% today.
- Simpson Manufacturing Company (SSD): SSD stock is up 1.0% today.
- Ashland Inc (ASH): ASH stock is up 0.9% today.
- Leucadia National Corp (LUK): LUK stock is up 0.9% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Cameco Corp (CCJ): CCJ stock is down 1.9% today.
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is down 1.8% today and down 35.4% in the last month.
- Mueller Water Products (MWA): MWA stock is down 1.6% today.
- Olin Corp (OLN): OLN stock is down 1.6% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Westlake Chemical Corp (WLK): WLK stock is down 1.7% today.
- Trex Company (TREX): TREX stock is down 1.6% today.
- International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF): IFF stock is down 1.4% today.
- Newmarket Corp (NEU): NEU stock is down 1.6% today.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is down 1.2% today.
- Watts Water Technologies (WTS): WTS stock is down 1.1% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.