NetGear, Inc. (NASDAQ:NTGR) is launching a top-of-the-line Wi-Fi package called Orbi.
The product is slated to include multiple modems in order to ensure you have wireless access to the Internet in every corner of the house at a high speed.
Here’s what makes this product so special:
- Orbi consists of two routers–one is connected to your modem, and the other should be placed somewhere centrally in the house.
- The equipment can cover 4,000 square feet of space, offering high-speed Wi-Fi to every single place within these boundaries.
- You can get additional routers that will each add 2,000 square feet of space to your range.
- The device supports 802.11ac Wi-Fi over 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios. It also has a 5GHz radio that uses MU-MIMO, allowing Orbi units to relay information at a high speed.
- It will retail for $399.99, with an additional $249.99 for every extra modem you add for expanded high-speed Wi-Fi.
A quick Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) search reveals that the five highest-rated Wi-Fi modems retail for an average price of $129.99. However, these are all simple devices that don’t offer the range or high speeds that NetGear’s set of devices does.
The company claims Orbi is twice as fast as competing multiunit Wi-Fi systems. Additionally, a third modem will make it three times as fast as its competitors, and any devices beyond that will make it even faster.
NTGR stock is up 0.1% Monday.