Current Short Positions (stop-losses in parentheses): None
BIAS: 35% Long
Economic Reports Due Out (Times are EST): Consumer Price Index (8:30 a.m.), Retail Sales (8:30 a.m.), Industrial Production (9:15 a.m.), Consumer Sentiment (9:55 a.m.), Business Inventories (10 a.m.)
My Observations and What to Expect:
- Futures are showing moderate weakness.
- Asian markets were mixed while European markets trading with some weakness.
- Price action that we’ve seen since Wednesday is very similar to the price action from Jan. 3 to Jan. 5. If that is the case, we could see some strength off of the morning lows today.
- No major price-pattern resistance overhead, instead it is coming in the form of a narrow channel that the market has been trading within since Dec. 1 and also an upper Bollinger Band that currently rests at 1288 on the S&P 500 Index.
- There should be some support at 1278 on the S&P.
- 1261 represents the short-term ‘higher-low’
- Volume continues to be average, with no developing trends or concerns.
- The more long-term trend-line dating back to Sept. 1 has support at 1242.
- For the bears – follow through on yesterday’s negative finish and close below Wednesday’s lows.
- For the bulls – show the “Buy-the-Dip” theory is in full force and close the week out at new highs.
Here Are The Actions I Will Be Taking:
- Not willing to add new positions to the portfolio today while the weakness persists. Will sit out the early morning at the very least, before deciding on any new positions.
- Added Schlumberger (NYSE: SLB) at $84.57 and F5 Networks (NASDAQ: FFIV) at $144.80 – both breakout plays.
- Stopped out of Freeport McMoRan (NYSE: FCX) yesterday at $118.75 for a 2.7% loss.
- All the stop-losses remain as is.
- Follow me in the SharePlanner Chat-Room today for all my live trades and ideas.
The SharePlanner Swing-Trading System is a proven trading strategy that has outpaced all the major indices with an 8-year return of over 1,010%. It’s an easy trading system that requires very little effort after you buy the stock and great for those who can’t watch the market all the time! Find out more by visiting SharePlanner.com.