Basic materials stocks finished down broadly on Wall Street today, with the sector seeing an overall decline of 0.4%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average increased 0.2%, the Nasdaq rose 1.0% and the S&P 500 climbed 0.2%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- RBC Bearings Inc (ROLL): ROLL stock is up 1.6% today.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is up 1.6% today.
- Schweitzer-Mauduit International (SWM): SWM stock is up 1.5%, marking the eighth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Domtar Corp (UFS): UFS stock is up 1.4% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Encore Wire Corp (WIRE): WIRE stock is up 1.4% today.
- Plum Creek Timber Company (PCL): PCL stock is up 0.9% today.
- Intrepid Potash Inc (IPI): IPI stock is up 0.9% today.
- Albany International Corp (AIN): AIN stock is up 0.9%, marking the sixth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc (POT): POT stock is up 0.8% today.
- Crown Cork & Seal Company (CCK): CCK stock is up 0.8%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is down 2.5% today.
- Iamgold Corp (IAG): IAG stock is down 2.3% today.
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is down 1.9% today.
- Barrick Gold Corp (ABX): ABX stock is down 1.9% today.
- Pan American Silver (PAAS): PAAS stock is down 1.7% today.
- Kinross Gold Corp (KGC): KGC stock is down 1.7% today.
- Watts Water Technologies (WTS): WTS stock is down 1.7% today.
- Molycorp Inc (MCP): MCP stock is down 1.6% today.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is down 1.6% today.
- W.R. Grace & Company (GRA): GRA stock is down 1.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.