Basic materials stocks finished up broadly 0.4% on Wall Street today.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 0.5%, the Nasdaq rose 0.8% and the S&P 500 increased 0.5%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Aurico Gold Inc (AUQ): AUQ stock is up 4.5% today.
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is up 3.9% today.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 2.9% today.
- First Majestic Silver (AG): AG stock is up 2.9% today.
- Hecla Mining Company (HL): HL stock is up 2.3% today.
- Om Group (OMG): OMG stock is up 2.1% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is up 2.0% today.
- Trex Company (TREX): TREX stock is up 1.8%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Century Aluminum Company (CENX): CENX stock is up 1.7% to a new 52-week high of $14.00.
- Polypore International Inc (PPO): PPO stock is up 1.7%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Grupo Simec S.A. De C.V. (SIM): SIM stock is down 1.9% today.
- Chemtura Corp (CHMT): CHMT stock is down 1.2% today.
- Kronos Worldwide Inc (KRO): KRO stock is down 1.0% today.
- Ball Corp (BLL): BLL stock is down 0.9% today.
- Vale S.A. (VALE): VALE stock is down 0.9% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 0.7% today.
- Monsanto Company (MON): MON stock is down 0.7% today.
- Praxair (PX): PX stock is down 0.7% today.
- Domtar Corp (UFS): UFS stock is down 0.6% today.
- Cabot Corp (CBT): CBT stock is down 0.4% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.