Basic materials stocks fell broadly 0.4% on Wall Street so far on Thursday.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 0.1%, the Nasdaq rose 0.7% and the S&P 500 fell 0.1%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Sigma-Aldrich Corp (SIAL): SIAL stock is up 2.9% to a new 52-week high of $96.50.
- Graphic Packaging Holding Company (GPK): GPK stock is up 2.4% today.
- Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (SMG): SMG stock is up 2.4% today.
- Ferro Corp (FOE): FOE stock is up 2.0% today.
- Freeport-Mcmoran Copper & Gold (FCX): FCX stock is up 1.6%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Methanex Corp (MEOH): MEOH stock is up 1.6% today.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 1.1%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Clearwater Paper Corp (CLW): CLW stock is up 1.0%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Sasol Ltd (SSL): SSL stock is up 1.0% today.
- Matthews International Corp (MATW): MATW stock is up 0.6% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Newmarket Corp (NEU): NEU stock is down 7.4% today.
- Fibria Celulose S.A. (FBR): FBR stock is down 2.8% to a new 52-week low of $10.00.
- Carpenter Technology Corp (CRS): CRS stock is down 2.2% today.
- Harmony Gold Mining Co. Ltd (HMY): HMY stock is down 2.1% today.
- Kaiser Aluminum Corp (KALU): KALU stock is down 1.9%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Reliance Steel & Aluminum Company (RS): RS stock is down 1.9% today.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is down 1.9% today.
- Nucor Corp (NUE): NUE stock is down 1.8% today.
- Sociedad Quimica Y Minera S.A. (SQM): SQM stock is down 1.7%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Newmont Mining Corp (NEM): NEM stock is down 1.6% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.