Basic materials stocks finished up 0.7% on Wall Street today.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 0.3%, the Nasdaq rose 0.3% and the S&P 500 pushed 0.3% higher.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Vale S.A. (VALE): VALE stock is up 4.0% today.
- Harmony Gold Mining Co. Ltd (HMY): HMY stock is up 3.6% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is up 2.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Watts Water Technologies (WTS): WTS stock is up 2.5% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (SMG): SMG stock is up 2.4%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Methanex Corp (MEOH): MEOH stock is up 2.4%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Fibria Celulose S.A. (FBR): FBR stock is up 2.3% today.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is up 2.2%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- RBC Bearings Inc (ROLL): ROLL stock is up 2.2% today.
- Molycorp Inc (MCP): MCP stock is up 2.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is down 2.3% today.
- Balchem Corp (BCPC): BCPC stock is down 1.4% today on 3 times normal volume.
- Weyerhaeuser Company (WY): WY stock is down 1.1% today.
- Grupo Simec S.A. De C.V. (SIM): SIM stock is down 1.0% today.
- Om Group (OMG): OMG stock is down 0.6% today.
- Encore Wire Corp (WIRE): WIRE stock is down 0.5% today.
- Leucadia National Corp (LUK): LUK stock is down 0.4% today.
- Valspar Corp (VAL): VAL stock is down 0.3% today.
- Simpson Manufacturing Company (SSD): SSD stock is down 0.3% today.
- Mrc Global Inc (MRC): MRC stock is down 0.3% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.