Basic materials stocks rose 1.0% on Wall Street today.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 0.5%, the Nasdaq was up 0.6% and the S&P 500 rose 0.5%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is up 3.4% today.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is up 2.4% to a new 52-week high of $40.04.
- Cameco Corp (CCJ): CCJ stock is up 2.3%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- First Majestic Silver (AG): AG stock is up 1.9% today.
- W.R. Grace & Company (GRA): GRA stock is up 1.8% today.
- Praxair (PX): PX stock is up 1.8% today.
- Eastman Chemical Company (EMN): EMN stock is up 1.7% today.
- Huntsman Corp (HUN): HUN stock is up 1.7% today.
- Domtar Corp (UFS): UFS stock is up 1.7% today.
- Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp (KS): KS stock is up 1.6% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is down 1.1%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Gerdau S.A. (GGB): GGB stock is down 0.6% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is down 0.6%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Leucadia National Corp (LUK): LUK stock is down 0.5% today.
- Encore Wire Corp (WIRE): WIRE stock is down 0.5% today.
- Balchem Corp (BCPC): BCPC stock is down 0.5% today.
- Clearwater Paper Corp (CLW): CLW stock is down 0.2% today.
- Carlisle Companies Inc (CSL): CSL stock is down 0.2% today.
- Stepan Company (SCL): SCL stock is down 0.1% today.
- Goldcorp Inc (GG): GG stock is down 0.1%, marking the fifth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.