Basic materials stocks finished up 0.4% on Wall Street today.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.4%, the Nasdaq climbed 0.7% and the S&P 500 increased 0.4%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp (KS): KS stock is up 4.1% today.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is up 2.8% today.
- Worthington Industries (WOR): WOR stock is up 2.8% today.
- Grupo Simec S.A. De C.V. (SIM): SIM stock is up 2.5% today.
- Cf Industries Holdings (CF): CF stock is up 2.3% today.
- Rockwood Holdings (ROC): ROC stock is up 2.2% today.
- First Majestic Silver (AG): AG stock is up 2.1% today.
- Teck Resources Ltd (TCK): TCK stock is up 2.1% today.
- Cvr Partners LP Common Units R (UAN): UAN stock is up 2.1% today.
- Kinross Gold Corp (KGC): KGC stock is up 2.0% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is down 5.7% to a new 52-week low of $6.57.
- Newmont Mining Corp (NEM): NEM stock is down 2.7%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is down 2.1%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Methanex Corp (MEOH): MEOH stock is down 1.9%, marking the fifth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Terra Nitrogen Company L.P. (TNH): TNH stock is down 1.3% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is down 1.1% today.
- Arcelormittal (MT): MT stock is down 1.0%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is down 0.8% today.
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF): GEF stock is down 0.7% today.
- Plum Creek Timber Company (PCL): PCL stock is down 0.7% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.