Basic materials stocks finished up broadly on Wall Street today, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.5%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.2%, the Nasdaq pushed 0.5% higher and the S&P 500 climbed 0.2%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is up 5.4% today.
- Ball Corp (BLL): BLL stock is up 1.5% today.
- DOW Chemical Company (DOW): DOW stock is up 1.4% today.
- Randgold Resources Limited (GOLD): GOLD stock is up 1.3% today.
- Watts Water Technologies (WTS): WTS stock is up 1.1% today.
- Berry Plastics Group Inc (BERY): BERY stock is up 1.1% today.
- Methanex Corp (MEOH): MEOH stock is up 1.0% today.
- Air Products and Chemicals (APD): APD stock is up 1.0% today.
- Cytec Industries Inc (CYT): CYT stock is up 1.0% today.
- Silgan Holdings (SLGN): SLGN stock is up 0.9% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Sociedad Quimica Y Minera S.A. (SQM): SQM stock is down 3.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is down 2.3% today.
- Ferro Corp (FOE): FOE stock is down 2.2% today.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is down 1.9% today.
- Freeport-Mcmoran Copper & Gold (FCX): FCX stock is down 1.8% today.
- Molycorp Inc (MCP): MCP stock is down 1.7% today.
- Intrepid Potash Inc (IPI): IPI stock is down 1.6% today.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is down 1.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Universal Forest Products (UFPI): UFPI stock is down 1.5% today.
- Reliance Steel & Aluminum Company (RS): RS stock is down 1.5% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.