Basic materials stocks advanced broadly on Wall Street on Thursday morning, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.3%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average increased 0.2%, the Nasdaq pushed 0.3% higher and the S&P 500 rose 0.2%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Worthington Industries (WOR): WOR stock is up 3.7% today.
- Vale S.A. (VALE): VALE stock is up 2.3% today.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 2.2%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is up 2.0%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Trex Company (TREX): TREX stock is up 1.9% today.
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is up 1.8% today.
- Murphy USA Inc. Common Stock Wh (MUSA): MUSA stock is up 1.8% to a new 52-week high of $49.51.
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is up 1.7% today.
- Hecla Mining Company (HL): HL stock is up 1.4% today.
- Ferro Corp (FOE): FOE stock is up 1.8% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Rexnord Corp (RXN): RXN stock is down 2.6%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Grupo Simec S.A. De C.V. (SIM): SIM stock is down 1.3% today.
- Newmont Mining Corp (NEM): NEM stock is down 0.9% today.
- Cameco Corp (CCJ): CCJ stock is down 0.7% today.
- Cytec Industries Inc (CYT): CYT stock is down 0.6% today.
- Stepan Company (SCL): SCL stock is down 0.3%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Arcelormittal (MT): MT stock is down 0.6%, marking the sixth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Yamana Gold (AUY): AUY stock is down 0.3% today.
- Mrc Global Inc (MRC): MRC stock is down 0.2% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.