Basic materials stocks rose broadly on Wall Street so far on Monday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.2%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was steady, the Nasdaq fell 0.3% and the S&P 500 stayed consistent.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Century Aluminum Company (CENX): CENX stock is up 4.4% today.
- Meadwestvaco Corp (MWV): MWV stock is up 3.9% to a new 52-week high of $42.18.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is up 1.8% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is up 1.8% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is up 1.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Pohang Iron & Steel Co. (PKX): PKX stock is up 1.3% today.
- Watts Water Technologies (WTS): WTS stock is up 0.6%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Kronos Worldwide Inc (KRO): KRO stock is up 1.1% today.
- Bhp Billiton Plc (BBL): BBL stock is up 0.9% today.
- Fibria Celulose S.A. (FBR): FBR stock is up 0.8%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF.B): GEF.B stock is down 2.1% today.
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is down 1.4% today.
- Sensient Technologies Corp (SXT): SXT stock is down 1.4% today.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is down 1.6% today.
- Stepan Company (SCL): SCL stock is down 1.3%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Barrick Gold Corp (ABX): ABX stock is down 1.4% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 1.3% today.
- Raven Industries (RAVN): RAVN stock is down 1.3%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Minerals Technologies Inc (MTX): MTX stock is down 1.0% today.
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is down 1.2% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.