Basic materials stocks advanced 0.1% on Wall Street on Tuesday morning.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average remained flat, the Nasdaq climbed 0.2% and the S&P 500 stayed consistent.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Valspar Corp (VAL): VAL stock is up 1.8% to $76.65, near the 52-week high of $76.67.
- Commercial Metals Company (CMC): CMC stock is up 1.9% today.
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is up 1.6% today.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 1.3% today and up 31.1% in the last month.
- Reliance Steel & Aluminum Company (RS): RS stock is up 1.5% today.
- Sensient Technologies Corp (SXT): SXT stock is up 1.7% today.
- Chemtura Corp (CHMT): CHMT stock is up 1.5% today.
- Royal Gold (RGLD): RGLD stock is up 1.7% today.
- Airgas Inc (ARG): ARG stock is up 1.4% today.
- Berry Plastics Group Inc (BERY): BERY stock is up 1.2%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Sinopec Shangai Petrochemical Company Ltd (SHI): SHI stock is down 4.2% today.
- Bhp Billiton Limited (BHP): BHP stock is down 2.1% today.
- Iamgold Corp (IAG): IAG stock is down 1.8% today.
- Bhp Billiton Plc (BBL): BBL stock is down 1.6% today.
- Harmony Gold Mining Co. Ltd (HMY): HMY stock is down 1.4%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Sasol Ltd (SSL): SSL stock is down 1.3% today.
- Pohang Iron & Steel Co. (PKX): PKX stock is down 1.2%, marking the fifth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Stillwater Mining Company (SWC): SWC stock is down 1.1% today.
- Aurico Gold Inc (AUQ): AUQ stock is down 1.0% today.
- Vale S.A. (VALE): VALE stock is down 1.2% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.