Basic materials stocks finished down broadly on Wall Street on Friday, with the sector seeing an overall decline of 0.3%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average pushed 0.2% higher, the Nasdaq was up 0.4% and the S&P 500 increased 0.2%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is up 4.7% today on 16 times normal volume.
- Calgon Carbon Corp (CCC): CCC stock is up 2.7% today.
- Intrepid Potash Inc (IPI): IPI stock is up 2.5% today on 9 times normal volume.
- Grupo Simec S.A. De C.V. (SIM): SIM stock is up 2.5% today.
- Ferro Corp (FOE): FOE stock is up 2.3% today.
- AK Steel Holding Corp (AKS): AKS stock is up 2.1% today and up 26.2% in the last month.
- Newmarket Corp (NEU): NEU stock is up 2.0% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Cytec Industries Inc (CYT): CYT stock is up 2.0% to $104.41, near the 52-week high of $104.41.
- Albany International Corp (AIN): AIN stock is up 1.9% today.
- Glatfelter (GLT): GLT stock is up 1.7% today on 3 times normal volume.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Nucor Corp (NUE): NUE stock is down 1.5% today.
- Encore Wire Corp (WIRE): WIRE stock is down 1.4% today on 5 times normal volume.
- Globe Specialty Metals Inc (GSM): GSM stock is down 1.2% today on 5 times normal volume.
- Kronos Worldwide Inc (KRO): KRO stock is down 1.2% today on 7 times normal volume.
- Pan American Silver (PAAS): PAAS stock is down 1.1% today.
- Carpenter Technology Corp (CRS): CRS stock is down 1.0% today.
- Monsanto Company (MON): MON stock is down 0.9% today.
- Yamana Gold (AUY): AUY stock is down 0.7% today.
- Harmony Gold Mining Co. Ltd (HMY): HMY stock is down 0.7% today.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is down 0.7% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.