Basic materials stocks rose broadly on Wall Street on Friday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.2%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.5%, the Nasdaq declined 0.4% and the S&P 500 fell 0.5%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Harmony Gold Mining Co. Ltd (HMY): HMY stock is up 3.5% today.
- Kinross Gold Corp (KGC): KGC stock is up 2.7% today.
- Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW): SLW stock is up 2.7% today.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited (AEM): AEM stock is up 2.6% today.
- Pan American Silver (PAAS): PAAS stock is up 2.5% today.
- Albemarle Corp (ALB): ALB stock is up 2.3% today on 3 times normal volume.
- Barrick Gold Corp (ABX): ABX stock is up 2.1% today.
- Compass Minerals Intl Inc (CMP): CMP stock is up 2.1% today.
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is up 1.9% today.
- Randgold Resources Limited (GOLD): GOLD stock is up 1.9% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Packaging Corporation of America (PKG): PKG stock is down 1.9% today.
- Stepan Company (SCL): SCL stock is down 1.8% today.
- Cabot Corp (CBT): CBT stock is down 1.7% today.
- Calgon Carbon Corp (CCC): CCC stock is down 1.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Ternium S.A. (TX): TX stock is down 1.4% today.
- Century Aluminum Company (CENX): CENX stock is down 1.3%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Albany International Corp (AIN): AIN stock is down 1.3% today.
- RBC Bearings Inc (ROLL): ROLL stock is down 1.2% today.
- Rexnord Corp (RXN): RXN stock is down 1.2% today.
- Leucadia National Corp (LUK): LUK stock is down 1.1% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.