Basic materials stocks advanced 0.4% on Wall Street so far on Thursday.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.3%, the Nasdaq climbed 0.2% and the S&P 500 rose 0.3%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is up 3.0% today and up 30.6% in the last month.
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is up 2.9% today.
- Southern Peru Copper Corp (SCCO): SCCO stock is up 2.0%, marking the sixth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is up 2.2% today.
- Fibria Celulose S.A. (FBR): FBR stock is up 1.9%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Sun Hydraulics Corp (SNHY): SNHY stock is up 1.8% today.
- Encore Wire Corp (WIRE): WIRE stock is up 1.7% today.
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is up 1.5% today.
- Gerdau S.A. (GGB): GGB stock is up 1.3% today.
- Schweitzer-Mauduit International (SWM): SWM stock is up 1.8% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is down 2.7% today.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited (AEM): AEM stock is down 2.2% today.
- Hecla Mining Company (HL): HL stock is down 2.0% today.
- Goldcorp Inc (GG): GG stock is down 1.7% today.
- Kinross Gold Corp (KGC): KGC stock is down 1.6% today.
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is down 1.4% today.
- Newmont Mining Corp (NEM): NEM stock is down 1.5% today.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is down 1.3% today.
- Yamana Gold (AUY): AUY stock is down 1.4% today.
- Harmony Gold Mining Co. Ltd (HMY): HMY stock is down 1.3% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.