Basic materials stocks advanced broadly on Wall Street on Wednesday morning, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.2%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average stayed level, the Nasdaq rose 0.2% and the S&P 500 stayed consistent.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- AK Steel Holding Corp (AKS): AKS stock is up 3.3% today and up 37.9% in the last month.
- A. Schulman (SHLM): SHLM stock is up 3.1%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is up 3.0% today.
- Stillwater Mining Company (SWC): SWC stock is up 2.8%, marking the sixth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is up 2.4% today.
- Harmony Gold Mining Co. Ltd (HMY): HMY stock is up 2.7% today.
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is up 2.9% today.
- Methanex Corp (MEOH): MEOH stock is up 2.2% today.
- Celanese Corp (CE): CE stock is up 1.9%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Monsanto Company (MON): MON stock is up 1.7% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Balchem Corp (BCPC): BCPC stock is down 1.9% today.
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is down 2.0% today.
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF): GEF stock is down 1.7% today.
- Glatfelter (GLT): GLT stock is down 1.6% today.
- Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp (KS): KS stock is down 1.7% today.
- Polypore International Inc (PPO): PPO stock is down 1.4% today.
- Leucadia National Corp (LUK): LUK stock is down 1.5% today.
- Crane Company (CR): CR stock is down 1.2% today.
- RPM International Inc (RPM): RPM stock is down 1.2% today.
- Curtiss-Wright Corp (CW): CW stock is down 1.3% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.