Gold futures for April delivery added 1.4%, rising to $1,318.60 per ounce on Friday, according to CME Group. Gold traded as high as $1,321.50 and as low as $1,299.90. Bullion closed in London at $1,319, according to BullionVault.
Silver futures for March delivery soared 5% to $21.42 per ounce. Friday’s high for silver was $21.44, while the low was $20.45.
Metal funds climbed on Friday.
- The SPDR Gold Shares (GLD) rose 1.3%.
- The iShares Gold Trust (IAU) added 1.3%.
- The iShares Silver Trust (SLV) surged 4.6%.
Mining ETFs gained during the day.
- The Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) increased 1.8%.
- The Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (GDXJ) moved up 3.7%.
- The Global X Silver Miners ETF (SIL) rose 3.2%.
Gold stocks advanced on Friday.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM) rose 1%.
- Barrick Gold (ABX) moved up 1.2%.
- Eldorado Gold (EGO) inched up 0.6%.
- Goldcorp (GG) added 2.1%.
- Kinross Gold (KGC) increased 1.4%.
- Newmont Mining (NEM) gained 1.4%.
- NovaGold Resources (NG) surged 4.9%.
- Yamana Gold (AUY) moved up 3%.
Silver mining shares improved during the day.
- Coeur d’Alene Mines (CDE) rose 2%.
- Hecla Mining (HL) jumped 4.2%.
- Pan American Silver (PAAS) added 1.1%.
- Silver Wheaton (SLW) climbed 2.6%.
- Silver Standard Resources (SSRI) surged 4.8%.
As of this writing, Christopher Freeburn did not hold a position in any of the aforementioned securities. Adrian Ash of BullionVault contributed to this report.