Basic materials stocks finished down broadly on Wall Street on Thursday, with the sector seeing an overall decline of 0.1%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was unchanged, the Nasdaq was down 0.1% and the S&P 500 stayed consistent.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Vale S.A. (VALE): VALE stock is up 1.5% today.
- Newmarket Corp (NEU): NEU stock is up 1.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Ball Corp (BLL): BLL stock is up 1.4% today.
- Leucadia National Corp (LUK): LUK stock is up 1.4% today.
- Glatfelter (GLT): GLT stock is up 1.3% today.
- Pohang Iron & Steel Co. (PKX): PKX stock is up 1.3%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Syngenta Ag (SYT): SYT stock is up 1.2% today.
- Sociedad Quimica Y Minera S.A. (SQM): SQM stock is up 1.2% today.
- Arcelormittal (MT): MT stock is up 1.1% today.
- Cf Industries Holdings (CF): CF stock is up 0.9% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Horsehead Holding (ZINC): ZINC stock is down 4.5% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is down 2.3% today.
- AK Steel Holding Corp (AKS): AKS stock is down 2.1% today.
- Kinross Gold Corp (KGC): KGC stock is down 2.0%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is down 1.8% today.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is down 1.8% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is down 1.7% today.
- RBC Bearings Inc (ROLL): ROLL stock is down 1.7% today.
- Enpro Industries (NPO): NPO stock is down 1.6% today.
- Pan American Silver (PAAS): PAAS stock is down 1.6%, marking the fifth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.