Basic materials stocks finished down broadly on Wall Street today, with the sector seeing an overall decline of 2.6%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 1.7%, the Nasdaq was down 1.6% and the S&P 500 fell 1.7%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is up 3.2% today.
- Innophos Holdings (IPHS): IPHS stock is up 2.1% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is up 2.0% today.
- Clearwater Paper Corp (CLW): CLW stock is up 2.0% today.
- Wd-40 Company (WDFC): WDFC stock is up 1.9% today.
- Balchem Corp (BCPC): BCPC stock is up 1.7% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Polypore International Inc (PPO): PPO stock is up 1.3% today.
- Goldcorp Inc (GG): GG stock is up 1.2% today.
- Pohang Iron & Steel Co. (PKX): PKX stock is up 1.0% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Westlake Chemical Corp (WLK): WLK stock is down 6.1% today and down 21.4% in the last month.
- Huntsman Corp (HUN): HUN stock is down 5.4% today and down 24.3% in the last month.
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is down 4.9% today and down 30.7% in the last month.
- PPG Industries (PPG): PPG stock is down 3.8% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Sociedad Quimica Y Minera S.A. (SQM): SQM stock is down 3.7% today.
- Century Aluminum Company (CENX): CENX stock is down 3.7% today and down 21.3% in the last month.
- Albemarle Corp (ALB): ALB stock is down 3.4%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Graphic Packaging Holding Company (GPK): GPK stock is down 3.2%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Air Products and Chemicals (APD): APD stock is down 3.2%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Sealed Air Corp (SEE): SEE stock is down 3.2% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.