Basic materials stocks advanced broadly on Wall Street on Thursday morning, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.6%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined 0.4%, the Nasdaq fell 0.8% and the S&P 500 was down 0.4%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is up 8.7% today.
- Polypore International Inc (PPO): PPO stock is up 3.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is up 3.6% today.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is up 4.1% today.
- Trex Company (TREX): TREX stock is up 2.4%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is up 2.0% today.
- Barrick Gold Corp (ABX): ABX stock is up 1.5% today.
- Lyondellbasell Industries Nv (LYB): LYB stock is up 2.7% today.
- Airgas Inc (ARG): ARG stock is up 1.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Balchem Corp (BCPC): BCPC stock is up 1.4%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is down 2.0% today and down 39.5% in the last month.
- Ternium S.A. (TX): TX stock is down 3.8%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Gerdau S.A. (GGB): GGB stock is down 3.2% today.
- Vale S.A. (VALE): VALE stock is down 3.9% today.
- Teck Resources Ltd (TCK): TCK stock is down 3.2%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is down 2.5% today.
- Schweitzer-Mauduit International (SWM): SWM stock is down 2.5% today.
- Olin Corp (OLN): OLN stock is down 2.2% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 1.9% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.