Basic materials stocks fell 0.6% on Wall Street so far on Wednesday.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average pushed 0.3% higher, the Nasdaq fell 0.2% and the S&P 500 was up 0.3%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is up 7.0% today and up 24.0% in the last month.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is up 5.7% today.
- Teck Resources Ltd (TCK): TCK stock is up 3.9% today.
- AK Steel Holding Corp (AKS): AKS stock is up 5.0%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Mueller Water Products (MWA): MWA stock is up 4.0% today and up 21.2% in the last month.
- Sealed Air Corp (SEE): SEE stock is up 3.2% today.
- Quaker Chemical Corp (KWR): KWR stock is up 2.5% today.
- Pohang Iron & Steel Co. (PKX): PKX stock is up 1.9% today.
- Methanex Corp (MEOH): MEOH stock is up 2.3% today.
- Steel Dynamics (STLD): STLD stock is up 2.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Chemtura Corp (CHMT): CHMT stock is down 9.6% today.
- Owens-Illinois (OI): OI stock is down 8.1% today.
- Cameco Corp (CCJ): CCJ stock is down 5.1% today.
- Praxair (PX): PX stock is down 2.4% today.
- Barrick Gold Corp (ABX): ABX stock is down 2.1% today.
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is down 2.2% today.
- Pan American Silver (PAAS): PAAS stock is down 1.6% today.
- Newmont Mining Corp (NEM): NEM stock is down 1.8% today.
- Airgas Inc (ARG): ARG stock is down 1.9% today.
- E.I. Du Pont De Nemours and Company (DD): DD stock is down 1.5% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.