More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 1.4%, the Nasdaq was up 1.3% and the S&P 500 climbed 1.4%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Sasol Ltd (SSL): SSL stock is up 7.1% today.
- AK Steel Holding Corp (AKS): AKS stock is up 8.1% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is up 4.7% today.
- Gerdau S.A. (GGB): GGB stock is up 4.5% today.
- Lyondellbasell Industries Nv (LYB): LYB stock is up 2.2% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is up 3.0% today.
- Kinross Gold Corp (KGC): KGC stock is up 3.7% today.
- Sinopec Shangai Petrochemical Company Ltd (SHI): SHI stock is up 3.0% today.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is up 4.2% today.
- Circor International (CIR): CIR stock is up 4.0% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Worthington Industries (WOR): WOR stock is down 11.4% today.
- Steel Dynamics (STLD): STLD stock is down 3.5% today.
- Stillwater Mining Company (SWC): SWC stock is down 2.4% today.
- Actuant Corp (ATU): ATU stock is down 1.2% today.
- Balchem Corp (BCPC): BCPC stock is down 3.1% today.
- Dominion Diamond Corp (DDC): DDC stock is down 1.2% today.
- Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc (POT): POT stock is down 0.6% today.
- Enpro Industries (NPO): NPO stock is down 0.9% today.
- Reliance Steel & Aluminum Company (RS): RS stock is down 0.7% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.