Basic materials stocks finished flat today on Wall Street.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.5%, the Nasdaq increased 0.5% and the S&P 500 pushed 0.5% higher.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Valspar Corp (VAL): VAL stock is up 2.4% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Bemis Company (BMS): BMS stock is up 1.7% today.
- Commercial Metals Company (CMC): CMC stock is up 1.6% today.
- Balchem Corp (BCPC): BCPC stock is up 1.4% today.
- Sealed Air Corp (SEE): SEE stock is up 1.4% today.
- FMC Corp (FMC): FMC stock is up 1.2% today.
- Rexnord Corp (RXN): RXN stock is up 1.1% today.
- International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF): IFF stock is up 1.1% today.
- Sociedad Quimica Y Minera S.A. (SQM): SQM stock is up 1.0% today.
- Packaging Corporation of America (PKG): PKG stock is up 0.9% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp (KS): KS stock is down 5.0% today.
- Intrepid Potash Inc (IPI): IPI stock is down 3.3% today.
- Alcoa Inc (AA): AA stock is down 3.0%, marking the sixth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Owens-Illinois (OI): OI stock is down 2.5% today.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is down 2.4% today.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is down 2.2% today.
- Pan American Silver (PAAS): PAAS stock is down 2.0% today.
- Randgold Resources Limited (GOLD): GOLD stock is down 2.0% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is down 2.0% today.
- Domtar Corp (UFS): UFS stock is down 1.9% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.