Basic materials stocks finished flat today on Wall Street.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.5%, the Nasdaq increased 0.5% and the S&P 500 pushed 0.5% higher.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Valspar Corp (VAL): VAL stock is up 2.4% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Bemis Company (BMS): BMS stock is up 1.7% today.
- Commercial Metals Company (CMC): CMC stock is up 1.6% today.
- Balchem Corp (BCPC): BCPC stock is up 1.4% today.
- Sealed Air Corp (SEE): SEE stock is up 1.4% today.
- FMC Corp (FMC): FMC stock is up 1.2% today.
- Rexnord Corp (RXN): RXN stock is up 1.1% today.
- International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF): IFF stock is up 1.1% today.
- Sociedad Quimica Y Minera S.A. (SQM): SQM stock is up 1.0% today.
- Packaging Corporation of America (PKG): PKG stock is up 0.9% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp (KS): KS stock is down 5.0% today.
- Intrepid Potash Inc (IPI): IPI stock is down 3.3% today.
- Alcoa Inc (AA): AA stock is down 3.0%, marking the sixth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Owens-Illinois (OI): OI stock is down 2.5% today.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is down 2.4% today.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is down 2.2% today.
- Pan American Silver (PAAS): PAAS stock is down 2.0% today.
- Randgold Resources Limited (GOLD): GOLD stock is down 2.0% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is down 2.0% today.
- Domtar Corp (UFS): UFS stock is down 1.9% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.