Basic materials stocks finished up broadly on Wall Street on Wednesday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 1.1%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 1.2%, the Nasdaq pushed 1.3% higher and the S&P 500 was up 1.2%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Wd-40 Company (WDFC): WDFC stock is up 3.0% today on 3 times normal volume.
- E.I. Du Pont De Nemours and Company (DD): DD stock is up 2.0% today.
- Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (SMG): SMG stock is up 1.8% today.
- Southern Peru Copper Corp (SCCO): SCCO stock is up 1.7% today.
- Sherwin-Williams Company (SHW): SHW stock is up 1.7% today.
- Bemis Company (BMS): BMS stock is up 1.5% today.
- Freeport-Mcmoran Inc. (FCX): FCX stock is up 1.5% today.
- Carlisle Companies Inc (CSL): CSL stock is up 1.4% today.
- Intrepid Potash Inc (IPI): IPI stock is up 1.4% today.
- Minerals Technologies Inc (MTX): MTX stock is up 1.4% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited (AEM): AEM stock is down 2.0% today.
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is down 1.8% today.
- Barrick Gold Corp (ABX): ABX stock is down 1.3% today.
- Royal Gold (RGLD): RGLD stock is down 1.3% today.
- Reliance Steel & Aluminum Company (RS): RS stock is down 1.3% today.
- Stillwater Mining Company (SWC): SWC stock is down 1.2% today.
- Graphic Packaging Holding Company (GPK): GPK stock is down 1.0% today.
- Polypore International Inc (PPO): PPO stock is down 0.9% today.
- Newmont Mining Corp (NEM): NEM stock is down 0.9% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.