Gold futures about traded 0.2% higher Friday with a final bid of $1,582.80 per ounce, according to CME Group data. Gold reached a high of $1,586.70 and a low of $1,572.60. Gold bullion ended at $1,586 per ounce for Friday’s trading session in London, according to BullionVault.
“Gold appears to have lost its glimmer … as it languishes in the lower reaches of a $1,555-$1,635 range,” said Tim Riddell, ANZ Bank head of global markets research, Asia. “The near-term inability to regain levels above $1,600 will keep the bias towards retesting the base of this range.”
Silver futures were up about 0.3% with a final bid of $27.28 per ounce. Friday’s high for silver prices reached $27.36, and the low was $27.19.
Gold and silver trusts rose slightly Friday.
- The SPDR Gold Trust (NYSE:GLD) was up about 0.2%.
- The iShares Gold Trust (NYSE:IAU) gained 0.2%.
- The iShares Silver Trust (NYSE:SLV) also was up 0.2%.
Gold and silver mining ETFs showed varying results Friday.
- The Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (NYSE:GDX) was up about 0.4%.
- The Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (NYSE:GDXJ) dipped about 1%.
- The Global X Silver Miners ETF (NYSE:SIL) was about 0.9% higher.
Gold miners showed varying results Friday.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines (NYSE:AEM) rose about 0.5%.
- Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) was 0.6% lower.
- Eldorado Gold (NYSE:EGO) showed losses of around 1.2%.
- Goldcorp (NYSE:GG) climbed about 1.1%.
- Kinross Gold (NYSE:KGC) was about 0.1% higher.
- Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) was flat.
- NovaGold Resources (AMEX:NG) was 2.9% lower.
- Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) was up about 1.5%.
Silver mining shares were mixed Friday, too.
- Coeur d’Alene Mines (NYSE:CDE) was up about 2.2%.
- Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) rose about 0.5%.
- Pan American Silver (NASDAQ:PAAS) was around 0.4% lower.
- Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) climbed about 0.6%.
- Silver Standard Resources (NASDAQ:SSRI) was down about 0.4%.
As of this writing, Angela Nazworth did not hold a position in any of the aforementioned securities. Adrian Ash of BullionVault contributed to this report.