Here are your Apple rumors and AAPL news items for today:
Coming: A report from an Asian news source says that manufacturers are hiring new workers in advance of the launch of Apple’s (AAPL) next-generation iPhone, Reuters notes. Taiwan’s Economic Daily News reports that Apple’s primary iPhone supply chain partner Foxconn plans to hire 100,000 workers at its Chinese factories to assemble the iPhone 6. Apple is widely expected to launch two versions of the iPhone 6 this fall, one model featuring a 4.7-inch display and a second model with a 5.5-inch display. Some reports say the larger iPhone 6 will launch some time after the 4.7-inch model, while other reports indicate that the two models will launch together. According to the new report, Foxconn will handle production of 70% of iPhone 6 models, while Petagron will produce the remaining 30%. That is consistent with recent rumors that suggested Apple would split iPhone production between the two suppliers. Pegatron is said to be planning to increase its workforce at one Chinese factory by 30%. Most analysts anticipate Apple to release at least the 4.7-inch iPhone in September, its usual iPhone launch window.
Expanding: Another Apple supply chain partner is increasing its capacity, GforGames notes. Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSM) has boosted the capacity of the production plant that makes the sensors used in Apple’s TouchID fingerprint scanner. Apple introduced TouchID on the iPhone 5s last year and is widely expected to bring TouchID to all iOS devices launched this year, including updated iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini models. The new report from Asia says that TSM will make 120 million TouchID sensors in 2014, up a whopping 233% from 2013. New TouchID sensors will start shipping next month in anticipation of a wave of fall product launches by Apple. TSM has reportedly enhanced the durability of new TouchID sensors. Many analysts saw the introduction of TouchID sensors as a precursor to a mobile payment system from Apple. Some recent reports indicate that the iPhone-maker is developing such a service based around iTunes.
Majestic: Apple’s new flagship retail store in Spain’s capital is built on a site that dates back to the 14th century, Forbes notes. The new Apple Store in Puerta del Sol overlooks Madrid’s main plaza. Apple spent four years — and a considerable amount of money — renovating the historic building in which the new store resides. During the renovation, workers uncovered the remains of a hospital that had been buried for centuries, prompting a months-long delay as archeologists moved in to preserve and relocate artifacts. The new store is Apple’s 10th store in Spain and its 101st store in Europe. The store opened on Saturday. About 600 people were waiting in line as it opened its doors. The new Madrid Apple Store is the second-largest Apple Store in Europe and employs 125.
For more about the company, check out our previous Apple Rumors stories.