Utilities stocks rose broadly on Wall Street today, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.4%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.2%, the Nasdaq declined 1.1% and the S&P 500 was down 0.2%.
Some of the biggest gainers among utilities stocks include:
- Consolidated Edison Company of New York (ED): ED stock is up 1.2% today.
- Wisconsin Energy Corp (WEC): WEC stock is up 1.1% today.
- Piedmont Natural Gas Company (PNY): PNY stock is up 0.8% today.
- Xcel Energy Inc (XEL): XEL stock is up 0.8% today.
- American Water Works (AWK): AWK stock is up 0.7% today.
- Alliant Energy Corp (LNT): LNT stock is up 0.7% today.
- NiSource Inc (NI): NI stock is up 0.7% today.
- Edison International (EIX): EIX stock is up 0.7% today.
- Avista Corp (AVA): AVA stock is up 0.7% today.
- Public Service Enterprise Group Inc (PEG): PEG stock is up 0.7% today.
Some of the biggest losers among utilities stocks include:
- Hawaiian Electric Industries (HE): HE stock is down 3.6% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Terraform Power Inc. (TERP): TERP stock is down 3.3% today on 4 times normal volume.
- Covanta Holding Corp (CVA): CVA stock is down 2.1% today.
- Energy Transfer Partners (ETP): ETP stock is down 1.9% today.
- Comp En De Mn Cemig Ads (CIG): CIG stock is down 1.6% today.
- Energy Transfer Equity LP (ETE): ETE stock is down 1.6% today.
- Kinder Morgan (KMI): KMI stock is down 1.3%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Empresa Nacional De Electricidad S.A. (EOC): EOC stock is down 1.3% today.
- Cheniere Energy (LNG): LNG stock is down 1.2% today.
- Cheniere Energy Partners LP (CQP): CQP stock is down 1.2% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.