Is CALL Stock the Next NFLX?

Whitney Tilson's makes a bold claim, but a fair one

    View All  
Is CALL Stock the Next NFLX?

Hedge fund manager Whitney Tilson believes magicJack VocalTec (CALL) “… is the kind of growth story that investors could really fall in love with.”

logo Is CALL Stock the Next NFLX?CALL is the Israeli company that invented VOIP (voice over internet protocol), and Tilson sees rapid subscriber growth leading to significant stock appreciation. His observations to clients Feb. 10 has pushed CALL stock up 28% over the past four days of trading.

Tilson thinks CALL stock could be the next NFLX. Is he right? Yes, although the reasons may not be readily apparent. Read on to find out why.

History of CALL Stock

This is no overnight sensation. In fact, it has taken 25 years to get to where CALL stock sits today: A company with a product that has been around awhile but could be ready for prime time. Starting out in 1989 as a developer of speech recognition technology, Vocaltec went on to create the first internet phone software in 1995. The software compressed voice signals into digital packets so they could be sent over the internet and thus the acronym VOIP was born.

The company was so successful it went public in February 1996, not under the CALL stock symbol investors know today, but rather as VOCL, an obvious truncation of its corporate name. It then saved itself from a sure death in 2005 by undertaking a reverse merger with Tdsoft Ltd., a provider of VOIP gateways.

Although the merged entity would operate under the Vocaltec name and stock symbol, Tdsoft shareholders, which included Cisco Systems (CSCO), took control of 75% of the company.

The last piece of the puzzle came to fruition in 2010 when Vocaltec did another reverse merger with YMAX Communications, the creator of the magicJack. Dan Borislow created YMAX in 2006 to take advantage of the obvious growth in VOIP. After the merger, YMAX shareholders owned 90% of CALL stock with Vocaltec getting the remaining 10%.

That’s where we stand today. But how is that similar to NFLX? Believe it or not, both companies were actually slow starters before growth took off.

Netflix, although it feels like an overnight sensation, has been around since April 1998. First, renting and selling DVDs online; it didn’t introduce streaming video until the beginning of 2007. Even then its business didn’t really take off until it started producing its own original content with shows like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black.

Throw in a surprise profit in Q4 2012 and NFLX stock was off to the races. In the words of Lou Mannheim, the veteran broker in Wall Street, “good things, sometimes, take time.”

First Impressions of CALL Stock

CALL released its Q3 earnings November 12 and the first thing you’ll notice is that revenues declined 13% year-over-year. That’s not the way to get me excited about a stock. However, farther down the income statement things get far more hospitable with operating income growing by 13% YOY to $12.7 million.

Operating margins increased 830 basis points in the quarter. Over the first nine months, they increased by more than 12 percentage points. Often it’s quality over quantity that counts.

But before you run out and buy CALL stock, you should wait for clarity around the reasons for the margin increase. Specifically, why did the company reduce advertising by 40% in Q3 and 56% in the first nine months of the year? The answer will either tell us there’s a big red flag present or we’re in the early stages of ratcheting up future profits. Without a clear understanding of the reasons for this, all bets are temporarily off.


Article printed from InvestorPlace Media, http://investorplace.com/2014/02/call-stock-next-nflx/.

©2014 InvestorPlace Media, LLC

Comments are currently unavailable. Please check back soon.