If you’re planning to fly Spirit Airlines (NASDAQ:SAVE) in the future, you’d better plan ahead. The discount carrier’s new fee schedule is the highest in the industry.
Beginning Nov. 6, Spirit will charge $100 for each bag checked at the gate, reports the Detroit Free Press. That’s more than double the current fee of $45. Spirit is hoping that the new fee will persuade passengers to pay up-front instead of waiting.
With Spirit’s low-cost, low-service business model, current fees make up about 40% of its revenue. Right now, only Spirit and Allegiant Travel (NASDAQ:ALGT) charge for carry-on bags.
That’s not the only luggage fee that Spirit is raising. Here are others:
- Carry-on paid at booking: $35, up from $30
- Carry-on paid at check-in: $50, up from $40
- Checked bag paid at booking: $30, up from $28
- Checked bag paid at check-in: $45, up from $38
Other outrageous airlines stories from InvestorPlace.com:
- Ranking: The Airlines Cashing in Most on Baggage Fees
- Want to Sit Near Family? Airlines May Charge You More
- Airline Satisfaction Doesn’t Take Off in 2012