Following American Idol‘s 15th season –airing next year– the show will be cancelled. The reality TV show that has contestants trying out in front of big-name stars for musical careers has seen declining views since it started. The most recent season pulled 11.6 million views, reports Entertainment Weekly.
American Idol is expensive to produce and the drop in viewers is likely affecting it. The show has major names in the music industry act as judges and has to tour the country for talent. It also now has competitors from similar shows, such as Dancing with the Stars, America’s Got Talent and The Voice, Entertainment Weekly notes.
Here’s what we know about the 15th, and final, season of American Idol, as collected from Newsday.
- The final season will start airing in January 2016.
- Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr. will be judges for the last season.
- Ryan Seacrest will host the final season.
- Fox has described the final season as “a true season-long celebration”.
- There are talks of previous hosts making appearances for season 15.
To learn more about the final season of American Idol, click here.
More From InvestorPlace