It’s a good idea to make Thanksgiving travel plans ahead of time, but sometimes everything else just gets in the way.
For those that haven’t had the chance to make plans in advance, and even for those still heading out today, here’s what you need to know about Thanksgiving travel this year.
- This will be the busiest year for Thanksgiving travel since 2005.
- There will be almost 51 million Americans that will travel at least 50 miles for the holiday.
- 89% of these travelers will be going by car. So keep an eye out for interstate congestion.
- Atlanta will be one of the busiest cities to travel in on Wednesday from 3:00 p.m. to 5:15 p.m.
- Houston will also experience particularity bad traffic today from between 5:45 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- Airports will also be congested as travelers make their way to families this year.
- Those traveling by air will see it worst at San Francisco, Newark Liberty and Oakland.
- The best airports for Thanksgiving travel are Honolulu, Atlanta Hartsfield and Charlotte Douglas.
- Airline tickets are actually incredibly low this year, which makes hitching a ride on a plan a good option for Thanksgiving travel.
- However, keep in mind to try and book as many non-stop flights as possible, which will reduce wasted time at airports.
You can also check out the following list to see more of InvestorPlace’s coverage on Thanksgiving 2017.
- Thanksgiving 2017: How Much Turkey Do You Cook Per Person?
- First Thanksgiving Facts: When Was It? What Did They Eat?
- Thanksgiving 2017: Which Restaurants Are Open on Thanksgiving?
- Black Friday 2017: 39 Stores Closed Thanksgiving Day
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2017 Lineup: Who Will Perform?
- Friendsgiving Ideas 2017: 6 Fun Ways to Host a Memorable Party
As of this writing, William White did not hold a position in any of the aforementioned securities.