Current Long Positions (stop losses in parentheses): VMW ($82.30), RRC ($44.59), FINL ($18.60)
Current Short Positions (stop losses in parentheses): DTV ($41.12), GOOG ($590.10)
Bias: 4% long
Economic Reports Due Out: None
My Observations and What to Expect
* Futures are slightly negative heading into the Monday open.
* Both Asian and European markets are mixed in trading.
* S&P 500 1,200 will act as support for the markets, while 1,227 is the major battleground currently between the bulls and bears.
* A pullback or at the very least some consolidation in the markets seems to be in the cards this week, before moving back up again. Typically pullbacks in a strong, trending market are very quick and don’t give bulls a huge opportunity to jump in at the lower prices they seek.
* Intraday charts, particularly the 30-minute and 60-minute charts on the S&P, show a very overextended market.
* A break of the November highs could send the market up into the 1,250s.
* Volume has been average during this three-day rally, with Friday’s volume being well below the average — perhaps showing some exhaustion by the bulls.
* The current rally has the makings of what we saw back on Sept. 1, which rallied for over two months.
* Going forward, I would expect the dip-buying to be back in play for traders.
* The U.S. dollar failed to hold the trendline, and instead moved much lower.
* The bears must defend the resistance at the November highs and close below Friday’s lows.
* If a pullback/consolidation occurs in the near-term, the bulls need to avoid giving back too much of the day’s gains.
Actions I Will Be Taking
* Will consider adding some additional long positions to the portfolio today.
* Closely monitor my short positions, especially Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) in light of Groupon bid rejection that may lift shares.
* Sold out of my Novellus Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: NVLS) position in the pre-market, after a downgrade was received. No desire to risk losing my profits on the position.
* Follow me in the SharePlanner Chat-Room today for all my live trades, including my day trades.
The SharePlanner Swing-Trading System is a proven trading strategy that has outpaced all the major indices with an 8-year return of over 1,010%. This year alone it is up 29%, with 64% of the stock picks being winners. It’s an easy trading system that requires very little effort after you buy the stock and great for those who can’t watch the market all the time! Find out more by visiting SharePlanner.com.