Dividend Stock #7 SCANA Corp. (SCG)
SCANA Corporation (NYSE: SCG) is a regional utility serving over 300,000 customers in South Carolina.
- Current Yield: 4.6% ($1.94 a share annually)
- Dividend History: In July 2010, the company paid 47.5 cents a share for its quarterly dividend. This year, it will pay out 48.5 cents a share in July. That’s a 2% increase. Dividends have been paid since 1946.
- Dividend Outlook: According to Bloomberg, SCANA has a 3-year expected dividend growth rate of 2.5%. Not blockbuster, but respectable.
- Recent Performance: SCG stock is up about 11% in the last year, lagging the broader market a bit. However, shares are very close to a new 52-week high.
- Strong Outlook for Shares: Utility stocks are safe-haven investments, and while some money has been moving out of these sleepy income plays in the last year, the recent focus on U.S. debt woes and fears of inflation are driving some traders back to low-risk plays like utilities. SCANA may not be sexy and won’t double your money, but shares should stay strong.