To help taxpayers keep their taxes as low as possible, Walmart‘s (NYSE:WMT) Walmart Foundation and a coalition of other groups including United Way, National Disability Institute and Goodwill Industries International, have compiled a list of five things taxpayers should keep in mind as Tax Day looms.
Here are the five things to know before you file your tax returns:
- Maximize your money — Invest any refund you get in a long-term investment to boost your financial security.
- Gather data — Keep important tax documents in a safe, easily accessible place. Don’t forget forms and financial records you will need to fill out your tax return.
- Get an income boost — See you if qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit, which could mean extra benefits for individuals and families.
- Get Returns Faster — By filing your tax return electronically, you increase the speed with which the Internal Revenue Service can send you a tax refund.
- Save $200 — Do your taxes yourself. People who pay to have their taxes prepared by an outside party spend about $200 on the service.
You can find more detailed information on these tax tips here.