According to Facebook, the website saw over 1 billion posts, likes and comments from 220 million of its users. This is the first time that the company has ever surpassed the 1 billion mark when recording any type of event.
Here are some highlights that Facebook lists from the World Cup 2014.
- Brazil v. Chile — The match saw over 75 million interactions from more than 31 million users.
- Netherlands v. Mexico — Over 19 million people generated 35 million interactions on this match.
- World Cup Group Stage — The matches lasting from June 12 to the 26 had more than 200 million users making over 815 million interactions.
- Group G Matches — Thursday’s matches saw over 31 million interactions from over 17 million people.
- World Cup’s First Week — During the first week of the sporting event, over 141 million people generated more than 459 million interactions. This is more interactions than what 2014’s Super Bowl, Oscars and Sochi Games generated altogether on the website.
To see more stats about Facebook interactions during the 2014 World Cup, click here.