“The #1 Tech Opportunity of the Decade”

On February 8th, Luke Lango is making his biggest call of 2023. He’s recommending technology (that you’ve likely never heard of) that could help 122 million people… And mint up to $3 trillion in wealth.

Wed, February 8 at 8:00PM ET
 
 
 
 

Why Is Cameco (CCJ) Stock Down 15% Today?

  • Cameco (CCJ) stock is falling on acquisition news today.
  • The company is acquiring Westinghouse Electric Company with the help of Brookfield Renewable Partners (BEP).
  • Cameco will spend roughly $2.2 billion for a 49% stake in the company.
CCJ Stock: a nuclear power plant in Belgium

Source: engel.ac / Shutterstock

Cameco (NYSE:CCJ) stock is slipping on Wednesday after the company announced its intent to acquire Westinghouse Electric Company.

Cameco isn’t buying Westinghouse Electric on its own. Instead, the company is forming a strategic partnership with Brookfield Renewable Partners (NYSE:BEP) that will see them splitting ownership of the nuclear power company.

This deal will see Cameco hold a 49% stake in Westinghouse Electric. The remaining 51% will belong to Brookfield Renewable. This has the two companies sharing the $4.5 billion equity cost, with Cameco covering $2.2 billion and Brookfield handling the other $2.3 billion.

Cameco notes that it has the funds on hand to support its part of the acquisition. However, it’s seeking out alternatives to fund the deal so as to maintain its balance sheet.

CCJ Stock: Cameco CEO Comments on Deal

Tim Gitzel, President and CEO of Cameco, said the following about the deal:

“We expect the recurring demand for Westinghouse’s operating plant services and nuclear fuel will generate a strong revenue stream and add stable cash flow to complement Cameco’s existing uranium and fuel services business.”

News of the acquisition deal has shares of CCJ stock seeing heavy trading on Wednesday. As of this writing, more than 29 million shares have changed hands. That’s a major increase over the daily average trading volume of about 6 million shares.

CCJ stock is down 15% as of Wednesday morning.

Investors can find more of the latest stock market news below!

We’ve got all of the most recent news traders need to know about for Wednesday! That includes why shares of Moderna (NASDAQ:MRNA), KnowBe4 (NASDAQ:KNBE) and Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) stock are on the move today. You can catch up on all of that news at the following links!

More Wednesday Stock Market News

On the date of publication, William White did not hold (either directly or indirectly) any positions in the securities mentioned in this article. The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer, subject to the InvestorPlace.com Publishing Guidelines.


Article printed from InvestorPlace Media, https://investorplace.com/2022/10/why-is-cameco-ccj-stock-down-15-today/.

©2023 InvestorPlace Media, LLC