Jaguar Health (NASDAQ:JAGX) is on the move once again, this time without any major company news. After staging a 150% rally at the end of December, JAGX stock again rallied 100%-plus yesterday. So what do investors need to know now about the biopharmaceutical play?
As a reminder, Jaguar Health is a California-based biopharmaceutical company that specializes in treating gastrointestinal conditions. It focuses on both humans and animals, although its treatments for two-legged patients are farther along in the pipeline. In fact, news that it was hoping to expand the use of its drug Mytesi is what sent JAGX stock soaring in December.
With that in mind, here are a few things to know about Jaguar Health:
- Jaguar Health says it focuses on developing sustainably derived gastrointestinal products. Specifically, it looks to develop plant-based prescription medicines.
- The company also has a wholly owned subsidiary, Napo Pharmaceuticals.
- Napo specifically works to develop and commercialize treatments based on rainforest-area plants.
- Investors should note that the main Jaguar product is Mytesi, which has U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval.
- Right now, Mytesi is used as an antidiarrheal in adult patients with HIV/AIDS who are on antiretroviral therapies.
- Earlier in December, Jaguar Health announced a new financing deal to help fund a few regulatory actions.
- Importantly, Jaguar Health thinks Mytesi works as an antidiarrheal for other conditions.
- Specifically, it is hoping to receive regulatory approval to market Mytesi as an antidiarrheal for cancer therapy-induced diarrhea.
- Napo Pharmaceuticals is also making big moves.
- Specifically, the company is working to expand into Europe as Napo EU.
- There, Napo Pharmaceuticals is also discussing a SPAC merger to take its new Napo EU public.
- Additionally, Napo Pharmaceuticals believes Mytesi could potentially work as an antidiarrheal for patients with long-term Covid-19 symptoms.
JAGX Stock Is on the Move
As we wrote in December, investors like the potential here with Jaguar Health. Along with a new financing deal, the company announced it would not effect a reverse stock split. New indications for its Mytesi would expand its market, and would help it strengthen its financial picture. Plus, through Napo EU, Jaguar Health has its hands in the critical world of Covid-19 care.
So what else do you need to know about Napo EU? Well, at the end of December investors received confirmation that the new subsidiary is in fact the target of a SPAC merger. The blank-check company, Post Pandemic Recovery Equity, is targeting investment between 20 million euros and 50 million euros. Such a SPAC merger has not been finalized, but it certainly has garnered attention. This is specifically because Napo EU will have the sole rights to Mytesi in Europe for its existing indications and because of its Covid-19 trials.
There is a lot investors do not know here, and a lot that remains to be seen. How will the Napo EU SPAC merger go? And will Jaguar Health be able to expand the indications for Mytesi? If you are a fan of hot JAGX stock, make sure to do your own research.
On the date of publication, Sarah Smith did not have (either directly or indirectly) any positions in the securities mentioned in this article.
Sarah Smith is a Web Content Producer with InvestorPlace.com.